Thompson & Knight has been assisting clients with environmental issues since the 1960s, when law and science in the area began to develop. Since then, our practice has grown in scope and complexity to address all aspects of federal, state, and local environmental laws, from their development to their application. We routinely use a wide variety of methods to help resolve client issues, including litigation, administrative proceedings, lobbying, participation in rulemaking and statutory development, negotiation with agencies and individuals, and alternative dispute resolution.
We are proud to be ranked among the top firms in the nation for Environmental Law in the 2013 edition of Best Law Firms, the preeminent listing of the nation's top legal practices from the publishers of U.S. News & World Report and The Best Lawyers in America®. The Legal 500 US 2012 has ranked the Firm among the top 22 firms in the nation in the prestigious directory’s Environment: Litigation category, noting that “Thompson & Knight LLP is ‘excellent in all regards,’ and provides ‘the highest level of service.’” Additionally, Chambers USA 2012 has ranked Thompson & Knight among the top firms in Texas for Environmental Law, quoting one Firm client as saying “They have scientific answers to problems we are having as well as knowledge of the law – its like getting two different experts at once.’”
In order to maintain our high level of client representation, we participate in a number of regional and national organizations:
- Texas Task Force on Waste Management Policy (a joint Texas House/Senate committee)
- North Texas Council of Governments (Storm Water Panel of the Water Resources Council)
- Iron and Steel Society's Standing Committee on Energy and Environment
- Dallas Chamber of Commerce Environmental Committee
- Environmental, Natural Resources, Energy, and Regulatory Sections of the American Bar Association, State Bar of Texas, and Dallas Bar Association
- United States Business Council for Sustainable Development
- One of our attorneys is the Texas representative to BNA's State Law Advisory Committee for the creation of its "Environmental Due Diligence Guide"
Our long history and resulting credibility and reputation with opponents and agencies enables us to aggressively pursue and achieve creative solutions on behalf of our clients. Through our diverse backgrounds and breadth of experience and expertise, we help clients spot issues in all areas of environmental law and devise appropriate plans of action.