Charles Shewmake focuses his practice on labor and employment, commercial litigation, regulatory matters, and environmental litigation. Charles has spent the majority of his career with BNSF Railway Corporation, including most recently serving as Vice President and General Counsel. In this role, he managed a team of more than 100 attorneys and claims professionals as well as outside counsel and was responsible for casualty litigation, safety related legal matters, labor and employment matters, and environmental legal matters. During his career at BNSF, Charles also coordinated the activities of the State Government Affairs team with responsibility for state legislative and political activities in 28 states. His experience also includes complex shareholder litigation, antitrust litigation, personal injury litigation, and commercial arbitration as well as emergency response management.
- BNSF Railway Corporation, 1988-2016
- Vice President and General Counsel, 2008-2016
- Assistant Vice President, Law, 2007-2008
- Assistant Vice President, State Government Affairs, 2004-2007
- Senior General Attorney and Various Other Roles, 1990-2004
- Intern, 1988-1990