At Thompson & Knight, we recognize recruiting, developing, retaining, and promoting diverse attorneys enhance our culture and produce more effective results for our clients – keys to the continued success of our Firm.
In 2018, 50% of TK’s Summer Associates were women or self-identified as ethnically diverse.
Named one of the "Best Places to Work" by the Dallas Business Journal for 16 consecutive years
Diversity Fellowship Program
Thompson & Knight has established a 1L Diversity Fellowship Program to invest in outstanding diverse law students by providing important resources, including work experience, networking, and mentoring to enhance opportunities for success. For more information on the Firm’s Diversity Fellowship Program and to apply, please click here.
Understanding that successful lawyers are developed long before law school, Thompson & Knight takes an active role in exposing diverse students at various education levels to the many legal career opportunities at the Firm and to the work our lawyers perform.
- DISD Intern Program: Since 2013, we have hosted an eight-week internship program designed by our attorneys and staff to provide mentorship and exposure and to encourage diverse Dallas/Fort Worth area high school students to pursue careers in the legal field.
- Cristo Rey Dallas College Prep: We partner with Cristo Rey Dallas College Prep to provide a platform for high school students to experience a law firm environment— to learn how it works and how to become a part of it.
- Paul Quinn Corporate Work Study Partnership: We partner with Paul Quinn College, a historically black college, to provide college students with a corporate work study opportunity where they can develop professional skills within the context of a law firm environment.
- Law Preview Scholarships | University of Houston Law Center and Vanderbilt Law School: Since 2012, Thompson & Knight has awarded diverse first-year law students with this opportunity to jump-start their law school studies and improve their future academic performance. These scholarships are available to rising 1Ls who are registered to attend the University of Houston Law Center and Vanderbilt Law School.
- LCLD 1L Scholar Opportunity: TK’s selected 1L Scholars (diverse first-year law students) participate in a two-day summit discussing ways to navigate their internships and the early years of practice, strategies for overcoming bias in the workplace, and how to engage with professionals across generations.
- HBA 1L Minority Opportunities in Legal Profession Summer Clerkship Program: Thompson & Knight participates in this Houston Bar Association program that provides an opportunity for a first-year minority law student from one of the three Houston area law schools (University of Houston, South Texas College of Law, and Texas Southern University) to clerk in our Houston office.
Diversity Job Fairs
As part of our efforts to increase our opportunities to meet and recruit a diverse slate of talented law students across the country, Thompson & Knight actively participates in the following job fairs: