Thompson & Knight’s Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Practice Group draws on the skills of the Firm’s tax, employment and labor, and corporate attorneys. They are assisted by colleagues in other disciplines as needed, to advise our clients on all of their employee benefit, employment and labor, and executive compensation matters. Recently, Thompson & Knight was ranked among the nation’s top firms in Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation by The Legal 500 US 2014 by Legalease.
While we do counsel individuals on these issues, our main focus is on employers that are large and small, closely held, and publicly traded companies, with specific expertise assisting clients in the oil, gas, and energy industry. Our attorneys assist business clients with all of their key benefit and compensation concerns:
- We help employers design and prepare plan, trust, and employee communication documents associated with pension, profit sharing, 401(k), stock bonus, equity compensation, employee stock ownership, fringe benefit, flexible benefit, current and deferred nonqualified incentive compensation, and all types of employee welfare plans.
- We help employers comply with ERISA and federal and state tax, labor, and securities laws that govern employee benefit plans. Our attorneys obtain Internal Revenue Service determination letters and private letter rulings, handle Department of Labor advisory opinions and prohibited transaction exemptions, secure Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation opinions and plan termination approvals, and prepare plan registration statements and prospectuses for compliance with securities laws.
- We help employers discharge their employee benefit plan fiduciary duties involving ERISA and Internal Revenue Code prohibited transactions, claims disputes, plan interpretations, administrative procedures, government audits, and compliance with reporting and disclosure requirements.
- We help employers respond to litigation over employee benefit plan qualifications, administration, and fiduciary responsibility.
- We help employers resolve the employee benefit plan and labor issues that arise from corporate mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, and initial public offerings.
- We help employers create effective executive employment, compensation, and tax planning strategies. Thompson & Knight attorneys integrate business needs and legal requirements to craft employment contracts, current and deferred incentive compensation agreements, fringe benefits, incentive and nonqualified stock options, and income and estate tax plans that reflect benefit plan provisions.
In addition, attorneys at Thompson & Knight offer comprehensive federal, state, and local tax compliance and tax planning advice to our clients, including individuals and all types of business entities and organizations. Our tax attorneys combine the Firm’s full business counseling resources with their own extensive involvement in professional organizations and continuing legal training in order to stay current on the latest tax management techniques and on the newest tax law changes imposed by Congress, state legislatures, and the courts. With extensive experience in federal and state tax matters, we resolve our clients’ tax law challenges by creatively applying current and comprehensive knowledge of tax law and best practices to their needs.