Thompson & Knight attorneys represent financial institutions of all descriptions, as well as corporate and individual shareholders, in forming, operating, acquiring, expanding, and liquidating banks, thrifts, trust companies, insurance companies, holding companies, and other financial institutions throughout the U.S. and around the world.
We serve as outside, general, and special counsel to financial institutions of all sizes, consulting with prospective purchasers of sound, troubled, failing, and failed financial institutions. We provide legal services relating to all aspects of their operation and regulation.
Our attorneys work directly with the boards of directors, management, in-house legal departments, and local counsel of financial institutions. Frequently we collaborate with a financial institution's independent accountants, investment bankers, and management consultants, and augment regular legal counsel as needed.
Thompson & Knight has the experience and credibility to work effectively with state and federal regulators on our clients' day-to-day matters as well as on acquisitions and expansions. Our government relations and public policy attorneys assist financial institution clients through extensive lobbying on legislation and policy initiatives.
The full range of our assistance to domestic and international financial institution clients is as broad as the industry itself:
- We advise on the legal, business, and regulatory aspects of acquisitions and mergers, stock purchases, tender offers, asset purchases, branch purchases, and failed institution acquisitions.
- We advise on federal and state regulations involving lending limits, truth-in-lending, community reinvestment, fair lending, money transfer services, suspicious activity reporting, insider restrictions, capital maintenance, director responsibilities and liabilities, usury, tying arrangements, and permissible activities.
- We advise on regulatory enforcement concerns, including examination responses, memoranda of understanding, formal agreements, cease-and-desist proceedings, civil money penalty assessments, capital directives, and capital maintenance agreements.
- We advise on regulatory filings involving acquisitions, changes in control, conversions, branches, and holding company formation.
- We advise on capital formation involving public and private offerings of common and preferred stock, debentures, and trust preferred securities.
- We advise on trust department operations, fiduciary appointment documentation review, trust law compliance, probate, and estate planning.
- We advise on such establishment and expansion issues as new bank, thrift, trust company, and insurance company charters and branches, holding company formations and reorganizations, trust powers, charter conversions, non-banking activities (credit insurance, mortgage banking, trust companies, securities brokerage, insurance agencies), and regulatory applications.
- We advise on government relations and lobbying efforts involving our clients’ positions on regulatory, legislative, and administrative matters.
- We advise on structuring and financing of specialized financial products.
- We advise on such operational matters as deposit accounts, customer disputes, policies, and procedures.
- We advise on capital plans, acquisition analysis, and other strategic planning matters.
- We advise on governance issues related to board and shareholder meetings, proxy statement preparation and review, procedural issues, confidentiality issues, voting, and buy-sell agreements.
- We advise on document preparation for commercial loans, real estate loans, letters of credit, asset-based loans, oil and gas loans, consumer loans, lease financings, participations, and interest rate swaps.
- We advise on the preparation and review of loan documents, deposit agreements, and service agreements.
- We advise on loan collections, loan workouts, and bankruptcy.