Insurance policies are often complicated and hard to understand. More to the point, they are legal contracts, and courts interpret them according to many of the same rules of interpretation as apply to other legal instruments. Therefore, astute companies in today's world rely on the services of specialized coverage counsel who read, interpret, and litigate insurance policies on a regular basis.
Thompson & Knight's insurance attorneys devote themselves to counseling and representing policyholder clients on insurance matters, both before and after claims are brought. If litigation or arbitration against the insurer becomes necessary, we have the trial and substantive skills needed to effectively represent our policyholder clients.
David S. White is one of only seven attorneys in Texas named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2018 by Woodward/White Inc. for Litigation – Insurance.
Our insurance coverage attorneys have experience evaluating and litigating disputes about many types of insurance, including:
- advertising injury and intellectual property
- aviation hull and liability
- business property and interruption
- commercial automobile
- commercial general liability
- construction and builders risk
- cyber risk
- directors and officers liability
- employee benefits/health
- employment-related practices
- environmental legal liability
- excess and reinsurance
- fidelity and employee crime
- fiduciary liability
- personal lines (homeowners and auto)
- product liability and recall
- professional negligence and other E&O
- terrorism coverage
- war risk
- workers' compensation
Thompson & Knight's attorneys regularly counsel clients on insurance coverage and bad faith litigation, cyber risk, procuring stronger insurance programs, maximizing directors' and officers' insurance and indemnity protection, private indemnification and additional insured contracts, and negotiation of supplemental premium or termination fees.