Mario Barrera focuses his practice on domestic and cross-border tax advisory, planning, and strategy. He represents clients before tax authorities in non-litigation procedures such as tax audits, administrative appeals, settlements, and mutual agreement procedures. Mario also has experience handling tax treaties, transfer pricing, tax litigation, and corporate reorganizations. He has authored numerous papers for specialized journals including Tax Notes International, Puntos Finos, IDC, and Practical Mexican Tax Strategies, and is a frequent speaker and lecturer on Tax Law.
- Advised a U.S. worldwide consumer products company on Mexican tax issues associated with a global corporate reorganization.
- Advised a Spanish group engaged in providing renewable energy in order to recover VAT in excess of US$200 million.
- Advised a Canadian mining group on Mexican tax issues associated with the sale of its Mexican assets.
- Advised several non-Mexican pension plans on the structure of their investments into Mexico in order to claim the relevant tax benefits afforded by the law.
- Represented a global steel manufacturer in a transfer pricing audit which could result in a contingency of several million dollars.
- Advised a Spanish group engaged in e-commerce on the structure of their operations in Mexico from a tax perspective.
- Advised a U.S. real estate developer on the structure of their operations in Mexico, taking into consideration the tax situation of its institutional investors.
- Advised a U.K. financial group with regard to its operations in Mexico from a tax perspective.
- Advised a U.K. architectural firm with regard to the tax structure of their operations in Mexican real estate projects.
- Advised a U.S. bottling group in structuring the sale of certain fixed assets in Mexico worth more than US$600 million.
- Certified “transfer pricing expert,” Federación de Colegios de Economistas de la República Mexicana, A.C.
- Who’s Who Legal: Mexico (Corporate Tax); 2015, 2017-2018
- International Who’s Who of Corporate Tax Lawyers; 2012
- Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresa, A. C.
- Barra Mexicana. Colegio de Abogados, A. C.; Coordinator, Tax Subcommittee of the Fiscal Commission
- Club Harvard de México, A. C.
- The Colegio Nacional de Economistas, A. C. Comision de Precios de Transferencia
- International Fiscal Association
- Harvard Law School Student Association, A. C.
- Cámara Franco Mexicana de Comercio e Industria, A. C.; Former Co-Chair, Legal and Tax Committee