Dallas – For the second year in a row, the law firm of Thompson & Knight LLP partnered with the Dallas-Fort Worth chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (“ACC DFW”) in conjunction with Street Law, Inc. (“Street Law”) to host an afternoon program for the more than 40 top high school students from the TownView Center High School Judge Barefoot Sanders Law Magnet Program.
The afternoon program was held on May 13 at the Firm’s Dallas office and marked the culmination of ACC DFW’s Corporate Legal Diversity Pipeline Program for the spring semester, which is designed to promote diversity in the legal profession.
Students participated in interactive classroom workshops that built upon what they learned throughout the school year. Thompson & Knight Partner and Former United States Attorney for the Northern District of Texas, Richard Roper, served as the keynote speaker. Mr. Roper spoke to the students about Criminal Employment and Criminal Real Estate Fraud cases he litigated as a U.S. Attorney, which related to the areas of law the students were studying.
Workshops followed and were led by ACC DFW members, with assistance from Thompson & Knight attorneys. The sessions engaged the students in exercises in Real Estate, Employment, and Contracts Law. ACC DFW volunteers included:
• Scott A. Young, Managing Attorney at TGI Friday’s Inc. (Real Estate team leader and program coordinator for ACC DFW)
• Derek B. Lipscombe, Managing Counsel at Toyota Motor North America, Inc. (Employment team leader)
• Jay Simmons, Senior Counsel at BMO Transportation Finance, division of BMO Harris Bank N.A. (Contracts team leader)
• Adelle Mize, Vice President and Associate General Counsel at Freeman
• Kimberly King, Senior Counsel at CHRISTUS Health
• Elizabeth Ramirez-Washka, Corporate Counsel at Dr. Pepper Snapple Group
• Todd Ammermann, Senior Counsel at BMO Transportation Finance, division of BMO Harris Bank N.A.
• Scott Tankersley, Senior Counsel at BMO Transportation Finance, division of BMO Harris Bank N.A.
• Cynthia Jon-Ubabuco, Assistant General Counsel at Director at Bank of America Corporation
• Edward Willey III, Senior Counsel at Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
• Heather Box, Division Director at Beacon Hill Legal
• Mike Linebarger, Senior Staffing Consultant at Beacon Hill Legal
To learn more about Street Law and the program, visit www.streetlaw.org.