For nearly 120 years, Thompson & Knight has counseled oil, gas, and energy industry clients – those who explore, develop, produce, store, market, transport, and process energy resources. Our practice is active and comprehensive, as we represent clients in transactions and resolve disputes in dozens of countries around the world.
Thompson & Knight was named the “Law Firm of the Year” in Natural Resources Law (2018) and in Oil & Gas Law (2011-2013, 2015, 2017) by U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms," the preeminent listing of the nation's top legal practices. The Firm’s oil, gas, and energy practice is also recognized by numerous other prestigious legal directories, including:
- Chambers USA 2017 by Chambers and Partners, which ranks Thompson & Knight:
- Among the top eight firms in the United States for Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional), praising the Firm’s “highly capable oil and gas transactional practice.”
- Among the top firms in Texas for the Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation category, praising the Firm’s “heavyweight litigation and regulatory practice that fields experience across the oil and gas space and the electric market.”
- The Legal 500 US 2017 by Legalease, which ranks Thompson & Knight among the top firms in the nation for the Energy Litigation: Oil and Gas, Energy Regulatory: Conventional Power, and Energy Transactions: Oil and Gas categories.
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2018 by Woodward/White Inc., which lists more Thompson & Knight attorneys in the Energy Law, Natural Resources Law, and Oil and Gas Law categories than any other law firm in Texas.
- Chambers Global 2017 by Chambers and Partners, which notes that the Firm is “well respected by interviewees for its market leading expertise in the oil and gas sector.
Thompson & Knight’s clients include multi-national and independent oil and gas companies, host government oil and gas companies, large utilities, private power plants, energy industry service giants, refineries, petrochemical companies, financial institutions, and multi-national drilling contractors and construction companies.
Thompson & Knight is one of the only large law firms in the United States to have a separate Oil and Gas Practice Group. Furthermore, 88 percent of the Firm’s attorneys have worked on energy industry matters. As a result, we not only provide our clients with an integrated service through the collaboration of attorneys across multiple practice areas, but each of these attorneys also truly understands the energy industry. We have the requisite knowledge to handle any energy industry dispute as well as the ability to cover every aspect of an energy transaction, including the oil and gas, corporate, tax, environmental, finance, labor and employment, real estate, and even intellectual property facets of the deal – thus giving the Firm and our energy industry clients a competitive advantage.