Barbara Ferguson focuses her practice on estate and income tax planning and probate law, marital property law, fiduciary administration, and charitable planned giving. Her expertise includes drafting wills and trust agreements for individuals, obtaining and maintaining federal and state tax exemptions for private foundations, business trust arrangements, family business planning, probate and administration of decedents’ estates, and probate court litigation.
Barbara is Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
More than 40 years of experience in Tax and Estate Planning Law
Named Dallas Trusts and Estates “Lawyer of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in America© 2017 by Woodward/White Inc.
- Planning and implementation of wealth transfers to family members and charities using testamentary and lifetime vehicles (including wills and various types of trusts and other arrangements) for families worth less than $100,000 to more than $1 billion
- Reformation, modification, construction, and termination of irrevocable trusts through state court proceedings
- Administrative aspects of federal tax law, including obtaining private letter rulings and technical advice
- Trust and estate administration, including advising individual and corporate trustees and executors as to their fiduciary duties on various state law and federal tax matters, as well as preparation of estate tax and fiduciary income tax returns
- Service as an expert witness in estate tax and fiduciary law disputes
- The Nation’s Top 10 Trusts & Estates Lawyers, United States Lawyer Rankings, 2010-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America® by Woodward/White Inc. (Tax Law, Trusts and Estates), 2006-2020
- Dallas Trusts and Estates Lawyer of the Year, The Best Lawyers in America© by Woodward/White Inc., 2017
- Chambers High Net Worth (“HNW”) by Chambers and Partners, 2016
- Texas Super Lawyers® by Thomson Reuters (Estate Planning & Probate), 2003-2018
- Best Lawyers in Dallas (Tax: Trusts & Estates), D Magazine, 2005, 2011-2013, 2018
- Best Women Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2010
- Best Personal Lawyers in Dallas (Trusts and Estates), D Magazine, 2009
- Member, Dallas Bar Association Probate Council, 2008-2009
- Editorial Board Member, Trusts & Estates magazine, 2005-2017
- Advisory Council, The Dallas Foundation
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- J.D., 1977, with honors, SMU Dedman School of Law, Phi Delta Phi scholastic honorary fraternity; Order of the Coif
- B.S., 1972, with highest honors, University of Houston, Alpha Lambda Delta scholastic honorary fraternity