Eric Reis counsels clients in estate planning, probate, charitable planned giving, and tax-exempt organizations matters. He is Board Certified in both Tax Law and Estate Planning & Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Named the 2018 Dallas Trusts and Estates “Lawyer of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in America© by Woodward/White Inc.
Board Certified in Tax Law and Estate Planning & Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Plan and implement wealth transfers to family members and charity using testamentary and lifetime vehicles for high net-worth families
- Plan and draft charitable lead and remainder trusts, outright gifts to charity, gift annuities, other split interest gifts to charity, and gifts to “advise and consult” funds held by community foundations
- Obtain and maintain federal and state tax exemption for nonprofit corporations and trusts; also oversee operations
- Assist clients in asset protection planning including domestic trusts and marital property agreements
- Represent clients in adversarial proceedings with the Internal Revenue Service through appeals procedures and Tax Court petition filings
- Administrative aspects of federal tax law (including preparation of Forms 706-Federal Estate Tax Return and Forms 709- Federal Gift Tax Return, obtaining private letter rulings, and technical advice)
- The Best Lawyers in America® by Woodward/White Inc. (Trusts and Estates), 2010-2020
- Dallas Trusts and Estates Lawyer of the Year, The Best Lawyers in America© by Woodward/White Inc., 2018
- Texas Super Lawyers® by Thomson Reuters (Estate Planning & Probate, Non-Profit, Tax), 2003-2004, 2012-2019
- Best Lawyers Under 40 in Dallas, D Magazine, 2004, 2006
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Martindale-Hubbell – “AV” rating (highest available)
- Chair of the Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section of the State Bar of Texas. Previously Secretary, Treasurer, and Council member, and Chair of the section’s Decedents’ Estates Committee
- Adjunct Professor, SMU Dedman School of Law
- Adjunct Professor, Texas A&M University School of Law
- Adjunct Professor, UNT Dallas College of Law
- J.D., 1996, with honors, The University of Texas School of Law; Associate Editor, Texas Law Review; Chairman, Legal Research Board; Order of the Coif
- A.B., 1992, cum laude, Harvard University
- U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Tax Ct.
- U.S. Ct. of App., Fifth Circuit