Dean Hinderliter focuses his practice on a wide range of tax matters, including all the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, private equity investments, public offerings, tax-free reorganizations, leveraged buyouts, the formation of joint ventures, and S corporation issues. His practice also concentrates on tax advisory work for partnerships, private equity funds, hedge funds, and limited liability companies in connection with ongoing operations, acquisitions, restructurings, financings, unwinds, and incorporations. His transaction planning practice includes special knowledge in taxation of natural resources and partnership and corporate transactions involving the petroleum industry as well as unique tax issues facing the mortgage industry and Real Estate Mortgage Investment Conduits (REMICs).
Dean also advises financially troubled and bankrupt companies on a variety of issues, including debt restructurings, preservation of net operating losses, and internal restructurings. In addition to his transactions practice, Dean advises tax-exempt organizations (including nonprofit health care systems, trade associations, professional societies, and religious organizations) and private foundations regarding qualification and ongoing compliance issues and represents clients in federal tax controversies.
Recognized for many years by Texas Super Lawyers® for his outstanding legal work, Dean has advised Fortune 100 clients on numerous tax issues and has assisted small businesses on many of the unique issues which they face.
Ranked among the top four firms in Texas for Tax in Chambers USA 2019 by Chambers and Partners
- Represented an exploration and production company in an acquisition of 80,000 net surface acres, with up to 10 prospective zones, in the Anadarko Basin STACK play for $1.9 billion
- Represented a food and beverage product supplier in tax-related matters regarding its sale to an Austin-based private equity firm
- Represented an automobile dealership in tax-related matters regarding the sale of 12 dealerships owned by the retailer and representing approximately $800 million in annual revenue in various Texas markets
- Represented a farm equipment wholesaler in tax-related matters regarding the sale of 11 tractor dealerships
- Represented a title insurance and settlement services company in its acquisition of a multistate title insurance agency
- Represented an insurance services company in tax-related matters regarding the initial public offering of its common stock and listing on NASDAQ
- Represented a property and casualty insurance company in tax-related matters regarding the initial public offering of its common stock and listing on NASDAQ
- Represented a property insurance and title and deed Fortune 500 company in its $400 million debt offering
- Represented a midstream energy partnership in a joint venture agreement for the construction and operation of the Utica Ohio River Project
- Represented a global hospitality and travel company in its sale of a nationwide chain restaurant
- Represented a European-based smart mobile technology company as local counsel in its sale to a personalized GPS navigation services company for $24 million
- Represented an energy trust in its $105 million acquisition of producing oil and gas assets in Wyoming
- The Best Lawyers In America® by Woodward/White Inc. (Tax Law), 2018-2019
- Recommended Attorney, The Legal 500 US by Legalease (Tax: International Tax), 2017-2018
- Best Lawyers in Dallas (Tax: General), D Magazine, 2018
- Texas Super Lawyers® by Thomson Reuters (Tax), 2003-2007
- Member, State Bar of Texas Section of Taxation
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- L.L.M., 1987, New York University School of Law, Memorial Award for Distinction
- J.D., 1985, University of Oklahoma College of Law, with highest honors, Order of the Coif; Note Editor, Oklahoma Law Review
- B.S., 1982, Drury College, magna cum laude
- U.S. Tax Ct.