Joshua Downer focuses his practice on oil and gas transactions and regulatory matters, with particular expertise in the representation of upstream and midstream clients. His transactional experience includes the drafting of master service agreements, joint operating agreements, production sharing agreements, and similar operational contracts. Josh also counsels clients in questions of mineral title, calculation and payment of royalties, lease interpretation, and similar questions related to oil and gas operations. Additionally, he assists in the negotiation of contracts related to the construction and decommissioning of offshore wells and facilities.
Josh’s regulatory practice includes the representation of oil and gas companies in disputes with the Department of Interior, particularly the agencies that regulate the offshore oil and gas industry such as the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management and the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, and he has represented numerous clients in matters before the Interior Board of Land Appeals.
Named “Law Firm of the Year” in Natural Resources Law (2018) and in Oil & Gas Law (2011-2013, 2015, 2017) by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”
Previously served as a Petroleum Landman for Tellus Operating Group, LLC
Member of The Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court
- Petroleum Landman, Tellus Operating Group, LLC, 2008-2009
- Member, The Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court
- Member, Institute for Energy Law
- Member, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Member, Houston Bar Association, Section of Oil, Gas & Mineral Law
- J.D. and Graduate Diploma in Comparative Law, 2012, summa cum laude, Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center; Order of the Coif; Chancellor’s List
- B.A., 2008, Millsaps College; Phi Beta Kappa; President’s and Dean’s Lists; Ross H. Moore Award