Josh Downer focuses his practice on oil and gas transactions, with a particular emphasis on midstream projects. His transactional experience includes the representation of clients in the drafting and negotiation of oil and gas gathering, gas processing, purchase and sale, storage, and similar midstream agreements as well as transactions concerning the acquisition and divestiture of midstream assets and facilities. Josh also regularly advises clients in the preparation of master service agreements, production sharing agreements, and similar contracts related to the construction and operation of midstream facilities.
In addition to his midstream expertise, Josh has substantial experience in upstream oil and gas transactions and operations, both onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, and counsels clients in questions of acquisition and divestiture of properties, calculation and payment of royalties, lease interpretation, decommissioning of offshore facilities, and similar matters related to owning and operating upstream oil and gas assets.
Although Josh’s practice is primarily transactional, Josh is also a former litigator and has represented clients in cases concerning virtually all aspects of oil and gas operations in Texas state and federal courts as well as representing clients in disputes with the Department of Interior before the Interior Board of Land Appeals, particularly with regard to the agencies that regulate the offshore oil and gas industry, such as the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, and the Office of Natural Resources Revenue.
Named “Law Firm of the Year” in Natural Resources Law (2018) and in Oil & Gas Law (2011-2013, 2015, 2017) by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”
Previously served as a Petroleum Landman for Tellus Operating Group, LLC
Member of The Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court
- Petroleum Landman, Tellus Operating Group, LLC, 2008-2009
- One to Watch, The Best Lawyers in America® by Woodward/White Inc. (Oil and Gas Law), 2021
- Member, Institute for Energy Law
- Member, Houston Bar Association, Section of Oil, Gas & Mineral Law
- J.D. and Graduate Diploma in Comparative Law, 2012, summa cum laude, Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center; Order of the Coif; Chancellor’s List
- B.A., History, 2008, Millsaps College; Phi Beta Kappa; President’s and Dean’s Lists; Ross H. Moore Award