Louis Jenull represents clients in most phases of federal income taxation with an emphasis on oil and gas (including significant midstream and master limited partnership experience), a range of tax credits, real estate lending and development, mergers and acquisitions, and the structuring and formation of complex partnerships with tax-exempt, U.S. taxable, and foreign investors. Several of his recent projects have involved investors or investments outside of the United States such as Europe, Latin America, China, and Singapore.
He has particular experience within the energy sector focusing on oil and gas transactions, master limited partnerships (including formation, public debt and equity offerings, and operation), asset acquisitions and dispositions, services, pipelines, refineries and other downstream transactions, and joint ventures. Additionally, Louis is active within the renewable energy space, advising clients with respect to the development of and investments in wind and solar power projects (including the acquisition of the largest wind farm in North America at the time).
Louis also has extensive experience in the structuring of various tax-advantaged investments, including structures for the monetization of tax credits (low-income housing tax credits, historic tax credits, energy and investment tax credits, refined coal tax credits, and new markets tax credits with investments totaling approximately $2 billion), and a variety of structured finance transactions.
- Advised an investment banking and securities firm in connection with the tax aspects of an equity investment in a multifamily housing development
- Advised a U.S. petrochemical and refining corporation, as well as affiliates in Austria and Canada, in connection with the tax aspects of the formation of a joint venture to build a $1.7 billion, 1 million ton-per-year ethane cracker in Port Arthur, Texas; acquisition of an existing 400,000 ton-per-year two-line polyethylene plant in Bayport, Texas; and building of a new 625,000 ton-per-year Borstar PE plant at the Bayport site
- Advised a midstream company in the tax aspects of its $180 million acquisition of a 575-mile pipeline system from a Houston-based pipeline operator
- Advised a diversified, growth-oriented master limited partnership in connection with the tax aspects of a $5.5 billion public offering of Senior Notes
- Advised an affiliate of a midstream client in connection with the tax aspects of the acquisition of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) facility in Kenai, Alaska
- Advised a publicly traded exploration and production company in the $84.2 million sale of a portion of its Appalachia assets
- Advised a large publicly traded investor in connection with its tax equity investment in a 33.8 MW (AC) ground mounted solar photovoltaic generating facility in North Carolina and in its purchase of solar renewal energy certificates related thereto
- Advised a Denver-based exploration and production company in connection with the tax aspects of its $500 million acquisition and related financing of producing and non-producing oil and gas assets
- Advised a diversified, growth-oriented master limited partnership in connection with the tax aspects of a $2.25 billion public offering of Senior Notes
- Advised an upstream division of an Indonesian national gas company in connection with the tax aspects of its acquisition of a 37.825 percent working interest in a gas production block in Indonesia
- Advised a Detroit-based diversified energy company in connection with the tax aspects of its $1.3 billion acquisition of midstream natural gas assets located in the Appalachia region
- Advised the largest independent petroleum marketer in Western Massachusetts, and an owner and operator of car maintenance and service centers, in connection with the tax aspects of its sale of nine locations
- Advised a U.S. gas and electric utility holding company in connection with the tax aspects of its acquisition of a 50 percent equity interest in a significant pipeline system connecting natural gas supply basins in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and the Gulf of Mexico to markets in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee
- Advised a diversified, growth-oriented master limited partnership in connection with the establishment of an at-the-market program for the sale of up to approximately $1.2 billion of limited partner interests, as well as up to approximately 17 million common units offered by a selling unitholder
- Advised a national bank in connection with the tax aspects of financing the acquisition of a forest in the State of Washington, and preservation and harvesting activities in relation thereto
- Advised a regional bank in connection with its financing of the rehabilitation of a historic building in Dallas, Texas
- Advised a Denver-based exploration and production company in connection with the tax aspects of the acquisition of producing and non-producing well assets in East Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- LL.M., 2004, New York University
- J.D., 2003, cum laude, Tulane University Law School
- B.B.A., Marketing and Organizational Behavior & Business Policy, B.S., Anthropology, 2000, cum laude, Southern Methodist University