Meagan Horn focuses her practice on federal and state tax controversies, with particular emphasis in the oil, gas, and energy industry and on companies facing issues involving complex debt. Her experience also includes structuring and analysis of private equity transactions, tax planning advice on mergers and acquisitions, and financings via both taxable and tax-exempt bond markets.
National first-tier ranking for Tax Litigation in the 2019 “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News-Best Lawyers©
Ranked among the top firms in the nation for U.S. Taxes: Contentious in The Legal 500 US 2018 by Legalease
Former Associate General Tax Counsel at Vistra Energy Corp.
- Developed, negotiated, and executed various strategies to ensure federal income and state taxes, covering over 20 open tax years and involving over a billion dollars in initial claims, were settled with the IRS and Texas Comptroller and uncontested in the largest U.S. bankruptcy at that time
- Represented a client in a research and development tax credit case heard in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Represented various large public corporations and individuals in IRS audits and appeals on a variety of federal income tax issues
- Represented large public companies in the issuance of large debt, including the analysis and documentation of implications of complex debt instruments, especially as it implicates the rules around applicable high yield discount obligations and contingent payment debt instruments
- Energy Future Holdings/Vistra Energy
- Associate General Tax Counsel, 2014-2017
- Tax Counsel, 2012-2014
- J.D., 2006, Harvard Law School
- B.S., 2003, with highest honors, The University of Texas at Austin
- U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Tax Ct.