Michael Blumenthal concentrates his practice on creditors’ rights and insolvency matters. He has extensive experience negotiating and litigating the issues pertinent to financially troubled corporations, portfolios, and assets and is routinely involved in restructurings, divestitures, and acquisitions, as well as serving the needs of financial institutions, indenture trustees, investors, and official creditors’ committees.
Michael also has extensive experience in commercial real estate finance, representing institutions, servicers, and an array of real estate entrepreneurs in connection with the restructuring and reorganization of office buildings, shopping centers, and hospitality projects.
National tier-one ranking in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law in “Best Law Firms” 2020 by U.S. News-Best Lawyers®
Regional tier-one ranking in New York City for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law in “Best Law Firms” 2020 by U.S. News-Best Lawyers®
Named to New York Metro Super Lawyers® 2020 by Thomson Reuters
- Represented a Fortune 50 financial institution in connection with numerous Chapter 11 cases involving office buildings, shopping centers, and other real estate interests in the Northeast
- Represented an institutional lender in connection with a $200 million construction loan in the Chapter 11 case of a regional shopping center
- Represented the indenture trustee in connection with $1.4 billion of mortgage backed securities in the Chapter 11 cases of real estate partnerships
- Represented a world-leading media and entertainment company in connection with its interests in numerous Chapter 11 and 7 cases, such as Adelphia Communications Corporation, The Tribune Company, and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) Studios, Inc.; the various representations also included the defense of avoidance actions, prosecution of claims, and the negotiation and documentation of contracts and other agreements
- Represented major lessors of real property in connection with various Chapter 11 cases of retailers nationwide, including Kmart Corporation
- Represented a lender in connection with the treatment of capacity purchasing agreements in the Chapter 11 cases of XO Communications, Inc. and Global Crossing Ltd.
- Represented an equipment (fiber optic) lessor in the Chapter 11 case of WorldCom, Inc.
- Served as bankruptcy counsel for Michael Vick, the professional football player, in his Chapter 11 case
- Represented a major telecommunications carrier in connection with its webhosting and data service agreements in the Blockbuster Chapter 11 case
- Represented the founders of a multi-billion-dollar telecommunications company in connection with their defense of claims and actions, resulting in one of the largest federal government shareholder settlements in history
- Represented the Official Bondholders’ Committee in connection with the confirmation of a liquidating Chapter 11 plan of reorganization of a large manufacturing company based in Alabama
- Represented Official Committees of Unsecured Creditors in connection with Chapter 11 cases involving debtors engaged in manufacturing dietary supplements and travel-related businesses
- Served as special litigation counsel to debtors in connection with the investigation and prosecution of fraudulent conveyance claims involving valuation of telecom assets
- Represented a boutique luxury hotel condominium in its Chapter 11 case
- Represented purchasers of distressed biodiesel and glycerin facilities
- New York Metro Super Lawyers® by Thomson Reuters (Bankruptcy: Business; Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights), 2006-2020
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- J.D., 1975, University of Miami School of Law
- B.A., 1972, magna cum laude, State University of New York at Albany
- New York