Mike Karson focuses his practice on intellectual property matters, including patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret misappropriation cases involving a broad and diverse set of technologies. These technologies include 3G and 4G cellular communications and equipment; mobile device management for wireless devices; wireless smart electricity metering; industrial cooling equipment; and data communications, including optical network communications, blood cholesterol strips, and piston coatings for use in internal combustion engines, among others.
Mike has been part of numerous trial teams, including a recent team that obtained a large jury verdict in a case in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas involving virtual reality technology and intellectual property. He has also helped monetize patent portfolios against entire industries, protect IP in the United States International Trade Commission, and obtain judgment of non-infringement in a large patent case.
Mike also has experience in complex, multidistrict litigation matters. He was an integral member of the team that handled a large patent multidistrict litigation case.
In addition to his trial experience, Mike has also prepared cases for favorable resolution before trial. In that regard, he has extensive experience in all phases of pre-trial litigation, including pre-suit investigations, fact and expert discovery, motion practice, and final pretrial preparations. He has argued at Markman hearings and questioned both friendly and hostile witnesses at trial.
- Represented a video game maker in obtaining a large jury verdict in a copyright, trademark, and breach of contract case involving virtual reality technology
- Represented a smartphone maker obtaining judgment as a matter of law of non-infringement in patent litigation involving mobile device management
- Represented the owner of certain smart electricity metering patents in multidistrict patent litigation; cases resolved shortly before the first trial
- Represented a manufacturer of industrial cooling equipment in patent litigation against an industry competitor
- Represented an auto manufacturer in patent litigation involving solid film lubricants and engine piston coatings; the court ruled favorably on the vast majority of claim construction issues
- Represented a bakery equipment manufacturer in patent litigation relating to equipment for processing bread dough
- Represented commercial real estate companies in patent litigation relating to online geographic searching
- Represented an entertainment firm in obtaining mandatory preliminary injunction and defeating motions to stay the injunction in a contract dispute regarding distribution of motion pictures; case settled
- Represented a leading document imaging manufacturer in patent litigation relating to Ethernet technology; case settled
- Defended a smartphone maker and achieved a favorable settlement in connection with a Section 337 Investigation before the International Trade Commission relating to authentication systems in mobile devices
- Judicial Extern for The Honorable Joan B. Gottschall, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Spring 2009
- Judicial Extern for The Honorable John W. Darrah, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Fall 2008
- Dallas Bar Association, IP Section
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- J.D., 2009, magna cum laude, John Marshall Law School
- M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2006, University of Iowa
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, 2004, University of Iowa
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Ct. of App., Federal Circuit
- U.S. Ct. of App., Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Ct. of App., Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Dist. Ct., E. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Dist. Ct., W. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Dist. Ct., C. Dist. Illinois
- U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. Illinois