Rex VanMiddlesworth focuses his practice on commercial litigation, administrative law, energy, and alternative dispute resolution. He has tried cases in state court, federal court, before arbitration panels, and before state and federal agencies. Rex has also handled appeals in the Fifth Circuit, the Texas Supreme Court, and various Texas Courts of Appeals. He has extensive experience representing public and private entities in breach of contract disputes, tortious interference cases, and other forms of commercial litigation and arbitration. Rex handles all types of contested proceedings before state agencies and the State Office of Administrative Hearings, including licensing and rate-setting disputes. He also has represented a number of clients in constitutional and voting rights litigation.
“Rex VanMiddlesworth has tremendous expertise acting for energy clients in commercial and administrative litigation as well as in alternative dispute resolution. Peers report that he ‘is definitely one of the leading practitioners in this area.'” – Chambers USA 2019
Rex has been recognized by numerous publications for his outstanding legal career, including The Best Lawyers in America®, Chambers USA, and Texas Super Lawyers®. He was named the 2016 Austin Energy Regulatory ”Lawyer of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in America® and in 2005, the Austin Business Journal recognized Rex as the best public law and administrative litigator in Austin in its inaugural “Best of the Bar” Awards. He is a frequent author and lecturer at conferences and seminars on issues, including topics of evidence, ethics, constitutional litigation, and administrative litigation. Before beginning his law practice, Rex was awarded a Teaching Fellowship in Constitutional Law at Harvard University under Professor Archibald Cox.
Has tried more than 50 contested cases before the PUC
Named the 2012 and 2016 Austin Energy Regulatory Law “Lawyer of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in America© by Woodward/White Inc.
- Lead counsel for Fortune 500 company in two-week federal court trial involving multimillion dollar alleged damages in breach of contract and tortious interference case
- Lead trial and appellate counsel for several large Texas cities in federal constitutional cases challenging government contracting programs
- Lead counsel for consortium of more than 40 Fortune 500 companies with large Texas operations in more than 50 trials before Texas administrative agencies
- Lead counsel for major national chemical company in multimillion dollar federal court negligence and breach of contract case
- Lead trial and mediation counsel for Fortune 100 petrochemical company in multimillion dollar negligence case against power company
- Lead trial and mediation counsel for large international chemical company in multimillion dollar breach of contract litigation against electric cooperative
- Lead counsel for pharmaceutical manufacturer in multimillion dollar qui tam litigation
- Lead counsel for large electrical cooperative in breach of contract case against electricity supplier
- The Best Lawyers in America® by Woodward/White Inc. (Administrative/Regulatory Law, Energy Law, Energy Regulatory Law), 1995-2020
- Austin (Energy Regulatory Law) Lawyer of the Year, The Best Lawyers in America® by Woodward/White Inc., 2012, 2016
- Chambers USA by Chambers and Partners (Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation (Electricity)), 2011-2019
- Texas Super Lawyers® by Thomson Reuters (Business Litigation) | 2003-2018
- Recommended Attorney, The Legal 500 US by Legalease (Industry Focus: Energy: Regulatory | Industry Focus: Energy: Litigation), 2015-2019
- Most Outstanding Public Law and Administrative Litigator, Austin Business Journal, Inaugural Best of the Bar Awards, 2005
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2014
- Member, Travis County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, The University of Texas McDonald Observatory; Board of Visitors
- J.D., 1980, cum laude, Harvard Law School
- B.S., 1977, summa cum laude, Indiana University
- U.S. Ct. of App., Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Ct.
- U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Dist. Ct., W. Dist. Texas