Robert Dougherty focuses his practice on oil and gas matters, including acquisitions, dispositions, and joint ventures relating to oil and gas properties and exploration and production companies. His energy experience includes transactions involving assets located in the Permian, Eagle Ford, Marcellus, Utica, Bakken, Niobrara, Barnett, Haynesville, and other shale formations as well as in other domestic and international onshore and offshore exploration areas. His experience extends to advising on and preparing agreements related to all facets of the energy industry. Robert also assists clients in oil and gas title due diligence, including with regard to acquisitions and secured lending transactions.
Co-Chair of Thompson & Knight’s Energy Industry Cross-Practice Group
- Represented Ajax Resources LLC in the sale of its northern Midland Basin assets to Diamondback Energy Inc. for $1.25 billion, consisting of $900 million in cash and 2.58 million shares of Diamondback common stock
- Represented Murchison Oil and Gas, LLC in its acquisition of certain assets from a subsidiary of ROXO Energy in Howard and Borden Counties, Texas
- Represented Tailwater Capital-backed Pivotal Petroleum Partners on its sale of producing wells in North Dakota to publicly traded Northern Oil and Gas Inc. for $151.83 million
- Represented Yates Petroleum Corporation in its $2.4 billion merger with EOG Resources, Inc.
- Represented BC Operating, Inc. and other entities in the sale of approximately 70,000 net acres in the Permian Basin to Marathon Oil Corporation for $1.1 billion in cash
- Represented Ajax Resources, LLC in its $376.1 million acquisition of Permian Basin assets from W&T Offshore Inc.; W&T also reserved a 1-4% sliding scale overriding royalty interest
- Represented the subsidiary of a Korean conglomerate in its $360 million purchase of producing and non-producing assets in Oklahoma and Texas from two separate sellers
- Represented Silver Hill Energy Partners II, LLC, in its $290 million acquisition of Permian assets in Texas and New Mexico from COG Operating LLC a subsidiary of Concho Resources Inc.
- Represented Titanium Exploration Partners, LLC in its acquisition from Vanguard Natural Resources, LLC of natural gas, oil, and natural gas liquids assets in the SCOOP/STACK area in Oklahoma for $272.5 million
- Represented EnerVest, Ltd. in the $268 million sale of certain producing and undeveloped oil and gas properties and related midstream assets in the Western Anadarko Basin to FourPoint Energy, LLC; FourPoint Energy and EnerVest also entered into a Joint Development Agreement and Area of Mutual Interest Agreement to own, operate, and develop oil and gas properties in the Western Anadarko Basin
- Represented PetroLegacy Energy II, LLC in its $266 million acquisition of roughly 20,000 net acres in northeastern Martin County, Texas from Pioneer Natural Resources
- Represented Chaparral Energy, L.L.C., an affiliate of Chaparral Energy, Inc., in the $170 million sale of its North Burbank and Texas Panhandle enhanced oil recovery (EOR) assets to Perdure Petroleum
- Represented Oil India Limited and Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. in the combined $123 million purchase of a 30% working interest in the Niobrara assets of Carrizo Oil & Gas Inc.
- Represented Chaparral Energy, L.L.C. in its $60 million acquisition of acreage in Kingfisher County, Oklahoma from a private seller
- Represented a private equity-backed portfolio company in its $32 million sale of E&P assets in the Delaware Basin to a Dallas-based energy company
- Represented a Dallas-based oil and gas company in its $28 million sale of California producing properties
- Represented Ball Park Energy, LLC in its acquisition of producing E&P assets located in Southeast Texas from Linn Energy Holdings, LLC, Linn Operating, LLC, and Blue Mountain Midstream LLC
- Represented Chaparral Energy, L.L.C. in a DrillCo transaction with BCE Roadrunner LLC, an affiliate of Bayou City Energy, to jointly develop Chaparral’s STACK acreage in Canadian and Garfield Counties, Oklahoma
- Represented Pivotal Petroleum Partners, a portfolio company of Tailwater Capital LLC, in a farmout transaction with Black Stone Minerals, L.P. that covers the majority of Black Stone’s Haynesville and Bossier Shale acreage under active development agreements in the Shelby Trough in Angelina and San Augustine Counties, Texas
- Represented Pivotal Petroleum Partners in a DrillCo transaction to fund up to 18 SCOOP wells (with an off ramp after the first nine) on a 75/25 basis with Canyon Creek Energy; after reaching payout, the interests will revert to 25/75
- Represented a private equity-backed portfolio company in a DrillCo Joint Venture with a Dallas-based energy investment firm covering properties in Blaine, Woodward, Major, and Dewey counties in Oklahoma; five-well commitment with an option to fund five additional wells
- Represented a private equity-backed portfolio company in a DrillCo Joint Venture with a Dallas-based energy investment firm covering SCOOP/STACK properties
- Represented GAIL (India) Limited in a joint venture with Carrizo Oil & Gas Inc. for a 20% working interest in roughly 20,200 net acres located in LaSalle County, Texas targeting the Eagle Ford Shale
- Recognized Attorney, The Legal 500 United States by Legalease (Industry Focus: Energy Transactions – Oil & Gas), 2020-2021
- Texas Rising Stars® by Thomson Reuters (Energy & Natural Resources), 2020-2021
- J.D., 2008, summa cum laude, University of Arkansas School of Law; Managing Editor, Arkansas Law Review
- B.B.A., 2005, The University of Georgia