Sheryl Anne Self represents a broad range of international and domestic clients in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions. She represents investors, operators, corporate owners, developers, as well as retailers, and their advisors in the acquisition, development, ownership, and disposition of retail, multifamily, hotel, office, distribution, and industrial properties.
Sheryl also represents landlords and tenants in structuring, preparation, and negotiation of retail, industrial, and office ground leases, build-to-suit leases, space leases, and subleases. Her expertise includes the preparation and negotiation of reciprocal easement agreements, restrictive covenants, construction and development agreements, tax abatement agreements, and other economic development incentive agreements.
In addition, she represents borrowers, debtors, life insurance companies, banks, and mortgage companies in construction, interim, equity, and permanent financing. She has experience in handling the real estate aspects of complex multi-state corporate mergers and acquisitions and portfolio investments. She also has experience in debt restructurings, bankruptcies, refinancings, and workout agreements.
Ranked among the top six firms in Texas for Real Estate in Chambers USA 2019 by Chambers and Partners
Ranked among the top firms in the nation in Real Estate in The Legal 500 US 2019 by Legalease
National first-tier ranking and regional rankings in both Dallas and Houston for Real Estate Law in “Best Law Firms” 2019 by U.S. News-Best Lawyers®
- Represented a Fortune 25 company in connection with the acquisition and development of wholesale/retail and distribution facilities in Texas and the Southwest
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in connection with its properties, office leasing, and real estate development activities throughout the United States
- Represented a University in the disposition, restriction, and development of surplus properties and leases for University purposes and various real estate and other matters, including representing the University with respect to its bid for a Presidential Library
- Represented numerous owners in leasing and disposition of retail properties
- Represented financial institutions in providing construction and permanent financing
- Represented retail tenants in shopping center leases, ground leases, and build-to-suits
- Represented international clients in the acquisition, financing, ownership, and disposition of properties throughout the United States
- Represented developers in the acquisition, financing, and disposition of sites for major national retailers
- Member, State Bar of Texas; Real Estate, Probate, and Trust Law Section
- Member, American Bar Association; Real Property, Probate, and Trust Section
- Member, Dallas Bar Association; Real Property Section
- Member, The Real Estate Council
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
- J.D., 1984, cum laude, SMU Dedman School of Law, Notes and Comments Editor, Journal of Air Law & Commerce; Order of the Coif; Phi Delta Phi
- B.S., 1977, cum laude, University of Maryland