Sue Murphy focuses her healthcare law practice on health industry operational and transactional issues, including joint ventures, group practices and managed care organizations. She has extensive experience regarding compliance with federal and state laws, including referral relationships, illegal remuneration, Stark and civil monetary penalties, state and federal licensure and certification, as well as antitrust, licensure, and insurance requirements. Sue also has expertise in matters related to healthcare financing.
Named among the top firms in Texas for Healthcare in Chambers USA 2020 by Chambers and Partners
Member, American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Divested two HMOs for a national health insurer pursuant to a Department of Justice mandate to enable client’s acquisition of another insurer’s managed care products
- Formed numerous independent practice associations (IPAs) and physician hospital organizations (PHOs), and instituted policies and procedures, which included antitrust parameters vis-a-vis payors and negotiations of managed care contracts
- Formed largest single-specialty IPA in Houston from separate practices, and counseled IPA on antitrust issues
- Successfully defended largest single-specialty IPA in Houston in a Department of Justice inquiry into monopolization and potential price-fixing
- Retained by numerous provider groups to counsel and perform audits and reviews regarding compliance with referral laws and Medicare program billing requirements, and developing compliance plans
- Assisted in the defense of a national hospital company in one of the nation’s largest fraud investigations
- Served as the health law contact and counsel for a national physician practice management company, which included:
- Heading a team to defend client in two separate qui tam cases involving allegations of state and Medicare billing violations, fee-splitting, and illegal referrals (resulting in the dismissal of both cases by the Department of Justice);
- Evaluating the legal structure and operations of targeted group practices in 15 states, including the negotiation and purchase of the practice’s assets and long-term management agreements; and
- Taking the company public and being responsible for the health law content of all subsequent filings and reports.
- The Best Lawyers in America® by Woodward/White Inc. (Health Care Law); 2016-2017; 2019-2021
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Advisory Board, Inprint, Inc.
- J.D., 1985, University of San Diego School of Law
- B.A., 1980, Stanford University