Vishal Patel specializes in advising clients in intellectual property disputes and technology transactions. In the courtroom and in meeting rooms, he focuses his practice on efficiently identifying and executing strategies to help clients achieve their goals with respect to the intellectual property and technology challenges they face in their businesses.
As a former engineer focusing in orthopedic technologies and prosthesis, Vishal has used his formal education and training to help clients navigate complex intellectual property and technology challenges. He has worked with clients in a variety of industries, including semiconductor design and manufacturing, biotechnology and medical devices, telecommunications, cloud software, investment and banking, aviation, retail, and hospitality.
Vishal has represented clients in patent and trade secret litigation before a variety of tribunals, using his technical background to effectively advocate complex technologies to juries and judges in state and federal courts and before the International Trade Commission. Additionally, he advises clients in a variety of technology transactions, including intellectual property valuation, purchase and sale agreements, licensing and other tech transfer agreements, joint development agreements, software licenses, and service agreements.
Vishal is also involved in a variety of organizations committed to increasing opportunities for lawyers of diverse backgrounds. For example, he co-founded the Dallas chapter of the South Asian Bar Association (“SABA Dallas”), which, in addition to helping connect lawyers of diverse backgrounds, has raised more than $40,000 for local charities over the last three years. He was also a 2018 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellow.
Named to Top 100 Texas Up-and-Coming Attorneys by Texas Rising Stars© 2018-2019
Named to D Magazine’s list of Best Lawyers Under 40 - 2018
- Advising apparel, footwear, and accessories company regarding transfer of IP license agreements to spinoff entity
- Asserting mobile software solutions provider’s claims of patent infringement relating to network traffic management and battery-saving technologies for mobile devices
- Advising global investment manager in corporate transactions specifically involving IP assets, including underlying due diligence and valuation analysis
- Advising medical aesthetic device company in corporate transaction regarding IP assets, including valuation analysis
- Defending global infrastructure technology provider against patent infringement claims relating to semiconductor manufacturing and design technologies for storage and networking solutions
- Asserting oil and gas company’s trade secret misappropriation claims against competitor
- Defended companies in various industries, including retail, energy, aviation, and banking, in patent infringement matters relating to e-commerce and encryption technologies
- Defending a network of healthcare providers against patent infringement claims relating to insurance claims processing technologies
- Asserting patent infringement claims on behalf of global infrastructure technology provider relating to audio and video encoding and decoding technologies
- Asserting airline’s claims, under federal and state law, for the illegal use and distribution of its proprietary information
- Research Assistant, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 2004-2005
- Intern, Whiteside Biomechanics, Barnes West Jewish Hospital, 1999
- Top 100 Texas Up-and-Coming Attorneys, Texas Rising Stars® by Thomson Reuters, 2018-2020
- Texas Rising Stars® by Thomson Reuters (Intellectual Property Litigation), 2013-2020
- Best Lawyers Under 40 in Dallas by D Magazine, 2017
- Lawyers of Color Southwest Region Hot List, 2014
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, 2018
- Member, Dallas Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Vice President and Executive Board Member, South Asian Bar Association of Dallas/Fort Worth
- J.D., 2008, University of Houston Law Center; Membership Committee Chair, Intellectual Property Student Organization
- B.S. in Biomedical Engineering, 2002, St. Louis University; Indian Students Association; Sigma Chi Fraternity
- U.S. Dist. Ct., E. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Dist. Ct., W. Dist. Texas