Trustees’ services are often required in bankruptcies or workouts, and Thompson & Knight’s attorneys frequently serve as trustees and as trustees’ attorneys in many cases. Our attorneys also regularly serve as attorneys for trustees in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 cases.
Our bankruptcy attorneys have a great deal of experience buying and selling assets from and on behalf of trustees in bankruptcy, including the creation of bid procedures and data rooms. We understand how to value assets and market them in order to obtain the highest possible price within a trustee’s constraints. In addition, we know how to obtain approval of debtor-in-possession financing, approval of use of cash collateral, and sales under Section 363 of the Code. Our attorneys litigate for and against trustees on a regular basis in preference, fraudulent transfer, avoidance, and officer and director fiduciary litigation, as well as regarding equitable subordination and substantive consolidation issues.
Ranked among the top firms in Texas for Bankruptcy/Restructuring in Chambers USA 2020 by Chambers and Partners
“Chapter 11 Restructuring of the Year” and “Restructuring Lawyer of the Year” by Turnaround Atlas for the Life Partners case
Awarded the Turnaround and Transaction of the Year Award by Turnaround Management Association for the Life Partners case
- Represented H. Thomas Moran II, Chapter 11 Trustee for Life Partners Holdings, Inc., in advancing and obtaining confirmation of a joint plan of reorganization, which, among other things, preserved a $2.4 billion life insurance policy portfolio for the benefit of more than 22,000 investors; also served as debtors’ counsel to the Life Partners operating subsidiaries
- Represented The Bank of New York Mellon Trust as indenture trustee with regard to the Teton North America LLC bankruptcy case
- Represented The Bank of New York Mellon Trust as indenture trustee with regard to the Erickson Retirement Communities LLC bankruptcy case
- Represented The Bank of New York Mellon Trust as indenture trustee with regard to the Pilgrim’s Pride Chapter 11 cases on five bond issues
- Represented Norsk Tillitsmann as bond trustee with respect to the Chapter 11 case of Viking Drilling on bonds denominated in both U.S. and Norwegian currency
- Represented The Bank of New York Trust Company, N.A. as indenture trustee in the Scotia Pacific Company LLC Chapter 11 cases