Thompson & Knight has an active complex commercial and business litigation practice involving breach of contract, tortious interference with existing or contemplated contracts, breach of fiduciary duties, agreements limiting competition, misuse of intellectual property, antitrust violations, fraud and deceptive trade practices, securities law violations, employer/employee disputes, and collection of debt, among others.
Thompson & Knight has an active complex commercial and business litigation practice involving breach of contract, tortious interference with existing or contemplated contracts, breach of fiduciary duties, agreements limiting competition, misuse of intellectual property, antitrust violations, fraud and deceptive trade practices, securities law violations, employer/employee disputes, and collection of debt, among others. In addition to handling disputes at trial, we help our clients protect their rights and avoid liability for such claims.
Our attorneys combine keen analysis, careful preparation, practical skills, and comprehensive experience to represent clients effectively before judges, juries, and other arbiters. If we cannot secure a favorable pre-trial solution, we try cases confidently and vigorously to verdict or bench decision.
We represent both plaintiffs and defendants in a number of industries.
Named among the top firms in Texas for Commercial Litigation in Chambers USA 2020 by Chambers and Partners
Recognized as one of the top firms in the U.S. for Litigation – General Commercial Disputes by The Legal 500 US 2020
Received a national first-tier ranking for Commercial Litigation in U.S. News - Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” 2020
- Represent a publicly traded REIT in lawsuits involving claims for breach of contract, tortious interference, and conspiracy
- Represented an oil and gas partnership against claims of breach of contract and fraud in alleged sale of mineral leases
- Represented an oil and gas transportation company in parallel state court and arbitration proceedings involving claims for breach of non-compete agreement, fraud, and tortious interference
- Represented a Fortune 500 telecommunications company in an arbitration involving claims for misappropriation of trade secrets, business disparagement, and breach of contract
- Represented a technology company and its officers and directors in a lawsuit involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, misrepresentation, tortious interference, and breach of contract
- Represented a Japanese manufacturer in several international contractual negotiations and a dispute resolution
- Represented a large electronics manufacturing services company in an arbitration hearing involving claims for breach of contract and unjust enrichment
- Represented an animal feed manufacturer against a Fortune 500 company for breach of warranty and consequential damages for supplying an ingredient outside the client’s specifications
- Represented a large national hospital chain in a partnership dispute related to a regional cancer treatment center
- Resolved a fraud and breach of contract matter for a major medical device distributor
- Represented several private equity funds specializing in the energy industry in numerous matters, including lawsuits involving breach of contract, lender liability, and fraud
- Represent a bank in state court litigation involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, negligence and breach of contract
- Obtained a complete defense verdict at trial for a commercial tenant of a shopping center in a suit brought by the landlord for breach of contract
- Obtained summary judgment for owners of a commercial property center in a matter involving dispute to ownership of property and enforcement of restrictive covenants
- Obtained complete dismissal of all claims, including breach of contract and tortious interference with contract, against a private educational system in Illinois state court in a case involving claimed multimillion dollar damages
- Represented an NYSE-listed corporation as lead trial counsel in a multi-million-dollar lawsuit involving allegations of breach of contract, fraud, unfair competition, business disparagement, and tortious interference; after a three-week federal court jury trial, a judgment was entered in favor of our client on all issues
- Represented former shareholders in a lawsuit involving claims of fraud, breach of contract, securities fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty
- Represented a major charitable organization in defending contractual disputes
- Successfully defeated a $200 million+ claim filed against a subsidiary of a major E&P company by a competitor
- Obtained a Ninth Circuit victory affirming a dismissal with prejudice of a class-action lawsuit filed against a major airline involving expired travel credits