Thompson & Knight attorneys have extensive experience representing clients involved in condemnation proceedings. We represent both landowners and condemnors in all phases of the condemnation process from preliminary voluntary sale negotiations to final jury trials and appeals. Our condemnation attorneys work closely with our real estate and government litigation attorneys to maximize talent at every stage of the process.
Our condemnation experience includes dealing with unique valuation issues as well as constitutional challenges to the right to take in economic development cases. We have represented a broad array of governmental bodies in the acquisition of land, or interests therein, by means of eminent domain proceedings. We regularly advise condemnors on the power to condemn, condemnation requirements and procedures, and the administrative acquisition process.
We also represent public and private real estate companies and landowners in litigation against various governmental agencies. This representation includes ensuring proper procedures are followed and the client’s interests are protected, advising the client on what is recoverable and if the market value estimates are correct, and obtaining the highest possible award for the client’s loss of real property and fixtures.
- Served as lead counsel for the City of Arlington, Texas, concerning the real property acquisition for the Dallas Cowboys Stadium Venue Project
- Represent the City of Austin, Texas, in redeveloping a 700-acre urban site at the former Robert Mueller Municipal Airport; the award-winning development is being planned in the “new urbanism” style, which will include a children’s hospital, town center, single and multifamily residences, office space, civic facilities, and open areas
- Counseled the City of Austin, Texas, in a downtown mixed-use redevelopment project consisting of mid-rise office buildings on city blocks ground leased for 99 years, ground floor retail areas, underground parking and tunnels, utilities infrastructure, a new City Hall, and two residential blocks
- Advised clients in condemnation matters involving the expansion of various roadways in Houston, Texas, such as Highway 6, Interstate 45, and the Katy Freeway, which has been called the largest and most expensive roadway expansion project in the history of the state
- Represented a client in a condemnation matter in which we were able to persuade the Texas Department of Transportation to compensate the client for the value of its leasehold interest after the DOT had originally taken the position that it had already paid all necessary compensation to the landlord
- Advised a client in the expansion of waste and spoils deposit areas in connection with the dredging of the inter and intra coastal waterways in Houston
- Counseled clients in condemnation matters involving the acquisition of land for roadways in Houston, such as Highway 290 and access roadways to facilities relating to the Compaq area roadway development
- Represented a client in the condemnation of the Barbours Cut facility to the Houston Ship Channel