Thompson & Knight’s global tax counsel encompasses transactional planning, structuring, compliance, audits, and litigation. Our attorneys structure sophisticated transnational joint ventures, corporate restructurings, and financing. We advise both inbound and outbound clients on all aspects of federal, state, and foreign tax planning and compliance, coordinating with local counsel when necessary.
Our global tax practice includes estate planning for foreign nationals and tax litigation that includes one of the largest tax cases to date (an international transfer pricing controversy).
More attorneys selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020 in the practice areas of Tax Law than any other firm in Texas
Ranked among the top firms in the nation for International Tax in The Legal 500 US 2020 by Legalease
Active in international tax law committees and associations
- Represented EnCap Investments LP in international tax matters related to its $225 million investment in the formation of Mexico-based Sierra Oil & Gas; funding created the formation of Mexico’s first independent exploration and production company, and one of the first private investments in Mexico oil and gas since 1938; represented EnCap in their successful disposition of its interest in Sierra
- Represented Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation in international tax matters related to the acquisition of oil and gas assets in Oklahoma from Chesapeake Energy Corp. for $1.02 billion
- Represented a corporate client in the sale of part of its chemical products businesses to a foreign corporation, providing analysis on federal income tax issues
- Served as international tax counsel to a Mexico-based company involved in supplying vessels and services to offshore oil and gas exploration and production projects
- Provided international tax advice to a national dairy company
- Provided counsel to a U.S.-based company seeking to establish operations in nine countries in the European Union on the implementation and execution of a cross-border acquisition and development strategy involving extensive tax planning
- Provided counsel to a publicly held corporation in the acquisition of a majority stock interest in a new company formed to acquire quarry, aggregate plant, distribution terminal, marine dredging, and rail transportation operations and related financing transactions in a $37.5 million transaction
- Serve as U.S. tax and corporate counsel pertaining to a London-based investment manager in connection with U.S. investments, in particular oil and gas acquisitions, divestitures, and restructurings
- Provide U.S. and international tax structuring advice to a producer of specialty sand products in the oil and gas industry in connection with its initial public offering in Canada and 144A private placement in the United States
- Provide international tax counsel to a multibillion-dollar energy-focused group
- Provide international tax and strategic planning advice related to United States and Mexico oil exploration and production planning and implementation of projects
- Provide international tax planning advice related to midstream construction projects (e.g., pipelines, terminals, offshore production platforms) in Mexico and throughout Latin America
- Provide U.S. and international tax planning advice to a consumer products manufacturer and retailer based in Mexico regarding M&A activity and operations, as well as international logistics operations and logistics services in the U.S.
- Serve as international tax counsel on a multi-billion dollar U.S.-Mexico pipeline project for a Mexico-based energy company
- Serve as tax counsel to a Mexico-based multinational glass manufacturer for U.S. and international matters
- Serve as tax counsel to a Mexico-based multinational food products manufacturer for U.S. and international matters
- Provide tax advice to foreign nonprofit organizations and United States counterparts with respect to establishment and operations in the United States, including fundraising operations and grants from United States foundations to foreign organizations