For decades, Thompson & Knight has represented hotels, resorts, private clubs, and restaurants operating as independent businesses; franchisees and franchisors; regional, national, and international chains; industry trade organizations; operating councils; and management companies.
While some of our clients are nationally known companies listed on the New York Stock Exchange, American Stock Exchange, or NASDAQ, many more are privately held family businesses. In serving these clients, we combine comprehensive general corporate counsel with advice on concerns specific to the industry.
Thompson & Knight has helped develop hundreds of restaurants, resorts, clubs, and mixed-use properties. Our attorneys are skilled at acquiring, developing, selling, zoning, licensing, and leasing land and developed properties, as we work with real estate developers, landlords, tenants, and state and city governmental agencies. We handle even the most complex project finance, zoning, land use, and environmental concerns, and take care of operational details like negotiation, preparation, and review of leases, licenses, purchase and sale contracts, and sale-leaseback agreements.
- Represented a commercial real estate investment firm in connection with a construction loan, EB-5 preferred equity investment, and contractors, architect, and development agreements for the construction of the first Virgin Hotel in Texas, located in the Dallas Design District
- Represented the City of Austin as the developer of an 800-room convention center hotel in downtown Austin, involving multiple condominiums, residential and retail units, public financing and state bond approval, and franchise agreements
- Represented Accor, a leading European hotel operator, with its sale of Red Roof Inn to a consortium comprised of Citi’s Global Special Situations Group and Westbridge Hospitality Fund L.P. for approximately $1.3 billion
- Handled the purchase of Pinehurst Resort and its eight golf courses in Pinehurst, North Carolina
- Served as counsel for a hospitality company in connection with more than $100 million in private country club acquisitions in various states
- Represented a major U.S. real estate developer in connection with a 500-room all-inclusive resort hotel in the area commonly known as the Riviera Maya, Mexico, valued at approximately $80 million
- Represented a publicly held nationwide owner and operator of upscale and mid-priced steak restaurants in acquiring, leasing, and securing liquor licenses for six locations on pad sites and in urban office buildings throughout Texas
- Represented a Latin American casino and hotel owner in connection with developing and financing ($50 million) a five-star hotel and casino in Lima, Peru
- Represented a multi-unit franchise of deli-style restaurants in negotiating leases for multiple shopping center locations in Texas, Kansas, and Florida
- Represented a publicly held nationwide owner, operator, and franchisor of barbeque restaurants in negotiating, acquiring, developing, leasing, and securing liquor licenses for two restaurants in Texas
- Represented a publicly held nationwide owner and operator of upscale and mid-priced steak restaurants in acquiring, leasing, and securing liquor licenses for six locations on pad sites and urban office buildings throughout Texas
- Represented a publicly held nationwide owner and operator of entertainment restaurants in connection with leasing 14 locations in strip shopping centers, refurbished urban buildings, and anchor-based shopping centers throughout Texas
- Represented a multi-unit franchise of “deli-style” restaurants in negotiating leases for multiple shopping center (strip and anchor) locations in Texas, Kansas, and Florida
- Represented a privately held Texas-based owner and operator of multiple restaurant concepts in resolving land and property use issues before a Planning and Zoning Board in order to obtain Special Use Permits
- Represented a restaurant in acquiring, selling, developing, and leasing (including sale-leasebacks) locations throughout the United States
- Represented a client in a $393 million stock purchase transaction resulting in the acquisition of 45 golf courses
- Represented a national Southwestern-themed restaurant owner and operator in leasing eight locations throughout the country during the last two years