As global commerce has expanded, international arbitrations have increased in number, scope, and scale. Recent figures indicate that the number of international arbitrations has doubled over less than five years. That upward trend is set to continue.
At Thompson & Knight, we are acutely aware of international arbitration’s increasing importance to our clients. We believe, moreover, that they deserve as much advice before an arbitration has been filed as after. That is why our approach to arbitration is different: we believe in careful, thoughtful preparation of any arbitration clause that may become the subject of a dispute.
We also believe our transactional attorneys have a critical role to play not only in that preparation but also in the conduct of arbitrations themselves. For that reason, our international arbitration group, unlike that of virtually any other firm, cuts across our transactional and dispute resolution practice groups.
We understand that international arbitration is not a mere variant of U.S. litigation. Differing cultures, languages, and legal systems contribute to a practice that is neither the entirely adversarial system familiar to common law practitioners nor the exclusively inquisitorial approach favored in civil law jurisdictions. Arbitration has developed a culture of its own; it is one that we appreciate and to which we are sensitive.
Our attorneys have conducted arbitrations under the rules of the major arbitral institutions as well as in ad hoc arbitrations. We have appeared in proceedings under the Rules of the ICC; ICDR (AAA); LCIA; ICSID; CPR (International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution); Swedish Chamber of Commerce; JAMS; Iran-US Claims Tribunal; and WTO.
- Represented an international energy company’s affiliate in a AAA arbitration involving claims for breach of contract
- Represented an international energy company in an ICDR arbitration involving claims for breach of contract and declaratory relief
- Represented an international energy company in an ICC arbitration involving claims for breach of contract and declaratory relief
- Represented an international energy company’s affiliates in connection with the confirmation of an ICDR arbitration award
- Represented an independent energy company in a AAA arbitration involving the breach of a purchase-and-sale agreement for certain oil and gas assets
- Represented an international energy company’s affiliates in an ICDR arbitration involving claims for breach of contract and other relief
- Represented a Canadian company in an ICC arbitration involving an oil and gas dispute in Colombia
- Represent an Argentine company in an ICC arbitration involving natural gas sales to Chile
- Represent an international energy company in an ICDR arbitration relating to upstream developments in Colombia
- Represent an energy company in connection with a potential arbitration involving the interruption to supply of a natural gas pipeline through the Sinai desert
- Represent two international energy companies in an ICDR arbitration involving claims for declaratory relief regarding the interpretation of an oil-and-gas contract
- Secured an arbitration award for a Wyoming-based mining equipment company in an ICDR arbitration against a Chilean company, seeking damages and enforcement of a non-compete agreement
- Represented a large electronics-manufacturing-services company in a AAA arbitration involving claims for breach of contract and unjust enrichment
- Secured an arbitration award for an oil and gas exploration and production company in an international arbitration proceeding concerning claims of fraud, misrepresentation and breach of contract in dispute between joint operators of an oil and gas concession in the Middle East
- Represented a French manufacturer in an international arbitration venued in Switzerland involving claims of breach of contract, fraud, and fraudulent inducement
- Represented an international steel company in an international arbitration against a foreign supply company
- Represented a global oil company in an international arbitration for one of the largest of the claims (US$1.6 billion) arising out of the Iranian Claims Tribunal; the client was an owner in a large offshore producing field that was nationalized and pursued arbitration against the Government of Iran as a consequence of the Algerian Accords; the case was heard in The Hague and resulted in one of the largest awards in favor of a claimant granted by the Claims Tribunal
- Represented a global energy company in an International Chamber of Commerce arbitration in Paris involving claims against the Libyan National Oil Company; our client, a leading producer of petroleum and petrochemical products, invoked the force majeure clause in the contract, which was related to one of the largest work commitments in an oil and gas contract at that time; the arbitration resulted in an exceptionally favorable result for our client
- Represented an oil and gas company in an American Arbitration Association (ICDR) arbitration regarding an oil field project in Bolivia
- Represented a state-owned energy company in one of the largest arbitrations in the world under the auspices of the International Chamber of Commerce involving water claims against the Libyan Government