For nearly 120 years, Thompson & Knight has counseled oil, gas, and energy industry clients – those who explore, develop, produce, finance, store, market, transport, and process energy resources. Thompson & Knight’s International Energy Practice Group provides legal and business advice to oil, gas, and energy industry clients around the globe. Our attorneys have assisted clients in more than 50 countries on six continents.
Thompson & Knight maintains an “active energy and natural resources department with recognized expertise in the oil and gas sector.” – Chambers Global 2018
Thompson & Knight’s clients include multi-national and independent oil and gas companies, host government oil and gas companies, private power plants, energy industry service giants, refineries, petrochemical companies, financial institutions, and multi-national drilling contractors and construction companies.
To the world’s energy industry, our international group is a formidable resource for legal and commercial assistance. We are extremely familiar with practical issues in the upstream exploration, development, and production business, and our attorneys have depths of experience in facilitating mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures. We help our clients negotiate complex EPC contracts for LNG, hydro, and gas power plants; effective international granting instruments; seismic agreements; drilling and service agreements; farm-outs and operating agreements; project and multi-lateral financing; and off-take arrangements. Our attorneys are also adept at natural gas and LNG sales, pipeline financing and construction, and other infrastructure, decommissioning, and abandonment issues. Additionally, we structure billions of dollars of industry investments, counsel energy companies in the strategic design and commercial execution of energy projects, and regularly assist in drafting energy-related legislation around the globe.
Nearly 120 years of experience counseling oil, gas, and energy industry clients
Named “Law Firm of the Year” in Natural Resources Law (2018) and in Oil & Gas Law (2011-2013, 2015, 2017) by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”
Have assisted clients in more than 80 countries on six continents
- Represented G&P Neuquen, the provincial oil and gas company of Neuquen, Argentina, in attracting investment and drafting related contracts for one of the world’s most exciting developing hydrocarbon areas
- Represented Pertamina in the $1.75 billion acquisition of ConocoPhillips’ Algerian Business Unit, ConocoPhillips Algeria Limited
- Represented CEPSA in the acquisition of a floating storage and offloading (FSO) vessel for use in the Gulf of Thailand
- Represented Petrobras and its subsidiaries in energy arbitration and related litigation involving more than $1 billion.
- Represented BHP in the award and execution of the Trion Block deepwater license agreement in association with PEMEX – the first-ever farm-out with PEMEX in history – where BHP secured operatorship and a 60 percent interest in the license agreement covering the areas constituting the Trion Block, located south of Mexico’s maritime border with the United States
- Represented Infinity Oil & Gas, Inc. in the award of oil and gas concessions covering 1.4 million acres off the Nicaraguan coast in the Caribbean Sea, which is especially significant because it is only the second time in recent history that a foreign company has been awarded an offshore exploration and development contract in Nicaragua
- Represented Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation in the acquisition of oil and gas assets in Oklahoma from Chesapeake Energy Corp. for $1.02 billion
- Represented Samsung C&T in its approximately $800 million purchase, along with KNOC, of Parallel Petroleum LLC of Texas
- Represented CNOOC Ltd. in the award and execution of two deepwater license agreements, Block 1 and Block 4 in the Perdido Fold Belt, as a result of Round 1.4 conducted by the CNH
- Represented Sonatrach in its acquisition of an interested in the Camisea oil and gas project in Peru
- Represented Petronas in the award and execution of two deepwater Mexico license agreements, one in partnership with Sierra Offshore Exploration and another in partnership with Murphy Sur, Ophir Mexico, and Sierra Offshore Exploration
- Represented Fisterra Energy, a subsidiary of The Blackstone Group, in the sale of the Mexican holding companies of Ventika, Mexico’s largest onshore wind farm and one of the largest wind farms in Latin America
- Represented KNOC and Ecopetrol S.A. in the joint acquisition of Offshore International Group Inc. and the company’s main asset, Petro-Tech Peruana SA., for $900 million
- Represented a subsidiary of one of the largest conglomerates in South Korea in its $300 million purchase of assets producing (operated) and non-producing assets in Oklahoma from two different sellers as well as its $60 million purchase of non-operated working interest in the Permian Basin from a separate seller
- Represented the Angolan Government in drafting of its Ethanol Law and Natural Gas Law.
- Represented GAIL (India) Ltd. in a joint venture with Carrizo Oil & Gas Inc. for a 20% working interest in roughly 20,200 net acres located in LaSalle County, Texas targeting the Eagle Ford Shale, which was significant in that it was the first time GAIL invested in the U.S. oil and gas industry
- Represented FAR Limited, a publicly traded exploration and production company based in Australia, in the formation of an Area of Mutual Agreement with CNOOC UK Limited, a subsidiary of the Chinese national oil company, covering multiple blocks in West Africa
- Advised the Republic of Kazakhstan on the first drafting of the hydrocarbon law and the creation of related energy and environmental legislation, a production-sharing contract, joint venture and gas sales agreements, and other matters
- Represented Oil India Limited in the acquisition of a 50% interest in WorldAce Investments, a Cypress-based wholly owned subsidiary of PetroNeft Resources, a UK-traded company based in Ireland; as a result, Oil India acquired an interest in PetroNeft’s oil block in Russia
- Worked with the University of Houston to draft oil and gas legislation for the Russian Republic’s Ministry of Fuels and Energy, and we have prepared a unique contractual approach that allows a host government oil company to farm out incremental oil and gas production