A significant portion of Thompson & Knight’s international energy practice is focused on strategic design and commercial implementation, and our attorneys assist state-owned energy companies and sovereign governments in the design and implementation of their international strategy, the development of energy projects, and the negotiation of commercial agreements.
A significant portion of Thompson & Knight’s international energy practice is focused on strategic design and commercial implementation. As energy industry authorities, we often assist state-owned energy companies and sovereign governments in the design and implementation of their international strategy, the development of energy projects, and the negotiation of commercial agreements.
Thompson & Knight maintains an “active energy and natural resources department with recognized expertise in the oil and gas sector.” – Chambers Global 2018
Our attorneys have particular expertise with regard to upstream contracts, including concession contracts, production sharing agreements, and joint operating agreements. We also have extensive experience in the development, construction, and financing of energy infrastructure. In the past several years, our attorneys have dedicated a significant amount of time to assisting clients in the development of unconventional hydrocarbon resources, both in the United States and internationally.
Additionally, we advise countries, at senior government levels, on their hydrocarbon legislation as well as the best strategies, practices, and programs to expand and encourage energy exploration and production, and we actively counsel on how to capitalize on changes currently affecting the global energy industry and best practices.
Our list of clients includes some of the most recognized state-owned energy companies in the world, such as Petrobras (Brazil); Ecopetrol (Colombia); PetroSA (South Africa); Oil India Limited, GAIL, and IOCL (India); NNPC (Nigeria) Sonatrach (Algeria); Pertamina (Indonesia); Sonangol (Angola); CNOOC, Sinopec, and PetroChina (China); KNOC (South Korea); CFE (Mexico); Ecopetrol (Colombia); and Kufpec (Kuwait). To the world’s sovereign governments and state-owned energy companies, our international group is a formidable resource for legal, technical, and commercial advice.
Nearly 120 years of experience counseling oil, gas, and energy industry clients
Named “Law Firm of the Year” in Natural Resources Law (2018) and in Oil & Gas Law (2011-2013, 2015, 2017) by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”
Have assisted clients in more than 80 countries on six continents
- Represented G&P Neuquen, the provincial oil and gas company of Neuquen, Argentina, in attracting investment and drafting related contracts for one of the world’s most exciting developing hydrocarbon areas
- Represented Pertamina in the $1.75 billion acquisition of ConocoPhillips’ Algerian Business Unit, ConocoPhillips Algeria Limited
- Represented Petrobras and its subsidiaries in energy arbitration and related litigation involving more than $1 billion.
- Represented Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation in the acquisition of oil and gas assets in Oklahoma from Chesapeake Energy Corp. for $1.02 billion
- Represented Samsung C&T in its approximately $800 million purchase, along with KNOC, of Parallel Petroleum LLC of Texas
- Represented Sonatrach in its acquisition of an interest in the Camisea oil and gas project in Peru
- Represented Petronas in the award and execution of two deepwater Mexico license agreements, one in partnership with Sierra Offshore Exploration and another in partnership with Murphy Sur, Ophir Mexico, and Sierra Offshore Exploration
- Represented KNOC and Ecopetrol S.A. in the joint acquisition of Offshore International Group Inc. and the company’s main asset, Petro-Tech Peruana SA., for $900 million
- Represented Ecopetrol in developing Colombia’s shale gas, tight gas, and coal-bed methane resources
- Represented the Angolan Government in drafting of its Ethanol Law and Natural Gas Law.
- Represented GAIL (India) Ltd. in a joint venture with Carrizo Oil & Gas Inc. for a 20% working interest in roughly 20,200 net acres located in LaSalle County, Texas, targeting the Eagle Ford Shale, which was significant in that it was the first time GAIL invested in the U.S. oil and gas industry
- Advised the Republic of Kazakhstan on the first drafting of the hydrocarbon law and the creation of related energy and environmental legislation, a production-sharing contract, joint venture and gas sales agreements, and other matters
- Represented Oil India Limited in the acquisition of a 50% interest in WorldAce Investments, a Cypress-based wholly owned subsidiary of PetroNeft Resources, a UK-traded company based in Ireland; as a result, Oil India acquired an interest in PetroNeft’s oil block in Russia
- Represented CNOOC Ltd. in the award and execution of two deepwater license agreements, Block 1 and Block 4 in the Perdido Fold Belt, as a result of Round 1.4 conducted by the CNH in Mexico
- Represented PetroSA for many years on their expansion and development ventures in Africa
- Represented Petrobras in the $164 million acquisition of a thermoelectric power plant in Brazil from Sociedade Fluminense de Energia (SFE)
- Represented the CFE in a right-of-way project for the establishment of power lines across private property
- Worked with the University of Houston to draft oil and gas legislation for the Russian Republic’s Ministry of Fuels and Energy, and we have prepared a unique contractual approach that allows a host government oil company to farm out incremental oil and gas production
- Represented Sonatrach in its efforts to develop a gas pipeline from Algeria through Niger into Nigeria