For more than 120 years, Thompson & Knight has counseled oil, gas, and energy industry clients – those who explore, develop, produce, finance, store, market, transport, and process energy resources. We are one of the only large law firms in the United States with a separate Oil and Gas Practice Group, and more than 85 percent of Thompson & Knight’s attorneys have worked on energy industry matters. Furthermore, many of the Firm’s attorneys have prior industry experience, including as petroleum engineers, in-house counsel, auditors, landmen, and bankers. As a result, we not only provide our clients with an integrated service through the collaboration of attorneys across multiple practice areas, but each of these attorneys also truly understands the energy industry.
“Thompson & Knight remains the nation’s preeminent firm in the area of oil and gas law. They have capability not only in the nuts and bolts of property matters, but in all of the various disciplines that are so closely related to this industry.” – Client Testimonial, U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” 2021
The Firm’s clients include multi-national and independent oil and gas companies, host government oil and gas companies, private power plants, energy industry service giants, refineries, petrochemical companies, financial institutions, and multi-national drilling contractors and construction companies. We have represented these industry clients through decades of highs and lows in the market, and our attorneys cover sophisticated transactions as well as day-to-day operational issues.
In addition to being named “Law Firm of the Year” in Natural Resources Law (2018) and Oil & Gas Law (2011-2013, 2015, 2017) by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms,” the Firm’s oil, gas, and energy practice is also recognized by numerous other prestigious legal directories, including:
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2021, which lists more Thompson & Knight attorneys for Oil and Gas than any other law firm in the United States.
- Chambers USA 2020 by Chambers and Partners, which ranks Thompson & Knight:
- Among the top firms in the United States in the Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional) and Oil & Gas Litigation categories.
- Among the top firms in Texas for the Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation category, noting Thompson & Knight’s “heavyweight litigation and regulatory practice that fields experience across the oil and gas space and the electric market.”
- The Legal 500 United States 2020 by Legalease, which ranks Thompson & Knight among the top firms in the nation for the Energy Litigation: Oil and Gas, Energy Regulatory: Conventional Power, and Energy Transactions: Oil and Gas categories and notes that the Firm’s “extremely business-oriented team” offers the “ability to effectively service clients in a holistic fashion.”
Thompson & Knight has the requisite knowledge to handle any energy industry dispute as well as the ability to cover every aspect of an energy transaction, including the oil and gas, corporate, tax, environmental, finance, labor and employment, real estate, and intellectual property facets of the deal – thus giving the Firm and our energy industry clients a competitive advantage.
To learn more about recent trends in the oil and gas industry, please view the Firm’s Oil and Gas Update blog.
More attorneys listed by The Best Lawyers in America® 2021 for Oil and Gas than any other firm in the United States
Named “Law Firm of the Year” in Natural Resources Law (2018) and in Oil & Gas Law (2011-2013, 2015, 2017) by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”
More than 85 percent of the Firm’s attorneys have worked on energy industry matters