Thompson & Knight attorneys have extensive experience with private equity and venture capital funds. Representing both fund recipients and investors, our attorneys have been involved in transactions totaling tens of billions of dollars in capital commitments targeting the energy, technology, life science, environmental development, and other investment sectors.
Thompson & Knight is “frequently sought by private equity funds” and “possesses extensive experience in fund formation matters.” – Chambers USA 2019
The Firm’s funds practice encompasses all phases of private equity and venture capital, including:
- Fund formation;
- Fund investment transactions;
- Fund and fund portfolio company M&A and “exit” transactions; and
- Fund sponsor formation and ongoing regulatory, employee, and operational matters.
In addition, Thompson & Knight has represented a significant number of companies, both mature and start-ups, seeking to partner or joint venture with private equity and venture capital funds or other private investors. We also counsel institutional and other investors seeking to invest in private equity and venture capital funds as well as in other private investment vehicles.
Thompson & Knight’s team consists of a number of attorneys across a wide array of practice groups and specialty areas, including corporate and securities, tax, capital markets, finance, oil and gas, energy, ERISA, employment and labor, environmental, and wealth management.
Represented 238 investment firms and funds in 2017 and 2018
Received a national first-tier ranking for Corporate Law in U.S. News-Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” 2019
Fund Formation Matters:
- Represented Yorktown Partners LLC in connection with the formation of Yorktown Energy Partners XI, with total commitments from investors of $1.2 billion
- Represented Tailwater Capital LLC in the formation of Tailwater Energy Fund III LP, with approximately $900 million in committed capital, as well as in the formation of Silver Creek Midstream CoInvest LP, a co-invest vehicle for Fund III portfolio company Silver Creek Midstream, with $100 million in committed capital
- Represented Lime Rock Partners in the formation of Lime Rock Partners VII, L.P., with $500 million in total commitments
- Represented Scout Energy Partners in the formation of Scout Energy Partners IV-A, LP and Scout Energy Partners IV-B, LP, with total commitments of $500 million
- Represented PetroCap in the formation of PetroCap Partners II, L.P., with $350 million in total commitments
- Represented Tillridge Global Agribusiness Partners, an affiliate of NGP Energy Capital Management, in the formation of Tillridge Global Agribusiness Partners II, L.P., which will make direct equity investments in food, feed, and industrial product companies within the agribusiness supply chain
- Represented IOG Capital, LP in the formation of IOG Capital Fund I, L.P. and a co-investment vehicle, with $300 million in total commitments
- Represented GP Invitation Fund I, L.P. in the formation of GP Invitation Fund I, a real estate investment fund, with $200 million in initial commitments
- Represented a Dallas-based private equity specializing in direct investments in oil and gas assets in the formation of a fund with $150 million in total commitments
- Represented a Houston-based firm in the formation of a real estate private equity fund focused on mezzanine loans, with $80 million in commitments
Fund Investment Transactions:
- Represented Double Eagle Energy Holdings III LLC in its raising of more than $1 billion in equity commitments from multiple investors that were anchored by a contribution from funds managed by Apollo Global Management LLC
- Represented a Dallas-based fund in the formation and $359 million capitalization of new portfolio company that will focus on exploration and production activities in Colorado
- Represented Meritage Midstream Services III LP in its $300 million commitment from funds managed by Riverstone Holdings LLC to pursue midstream opportunities in Western Canada’s emerging resource plays
- Represented a Colorado-based fund in its partnership with a leading independent oil and gas investment manager to form a privately held upstream oil and gas company with $240 million in committed capital to invest in the acquisition and development of upstream assets in the Permian Basin
- Represented Pearl Energy Investments in its $175 million investment in Colgate Energy Partners II, LLC, a Midland, Texas-based exploration and production company focused on the Permian Basin
- Represented Tailwater Capital in the formation and $150 million capitalization of Oklahoma City-based Valiant Midstream LLC
- Represented NGP Natural Resources XI, L.P. in its $150 million equity commitment to an oil and gas E&P company with a focus on Mid-Continent resource plays
- Represented a leading company in high-end multifamily development, construction, and property management in a $121 million private offering of a 460-unit multifamily real estate development project with 60 outside investors
- Represented a New York-based private equity fund in its $110 million investment in an oilfield services company that offers products, services, and solutions to enhance efficiency and safety in U.S. shale plays
- Represented NGP Agribusiness Follow-On Fund, L.P. in the formation and $50 million capitalization of a vertically integrated fresh produce company based in California