Financial institutions, including senior secured creditors, compose a critically important part of any workout or reorganization. Thompson & Knight’s attorneys have represented many such parties in a broad range of cases.
Our bankruptcy attorneys regularly represent financial institutions in connection with debtor-in-possession financing, requests for use of cash collateral, Section 363 asset sales, disclosure statement and plan confirmation issues, motions to lift stay, and motions for valuation of and protection of collateral. In connection with collateral issues, we are knowledgeable and able to deal with regulatory agencies and taxing authorities. Our attorneys also have a wide range of experience in defending financial institutions in litigation matters arising from insolvency and bankruptcy cases, including equitable subordination and substantive consolidation issues.
Ranked among the top firms in Texas for Bankruptcy/Restructuring in Chambers USA 2019 by Chambers and Partners
National tier-one ranking in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law in “Best Law Firms” 2019 by U.S. News-Best Lawyers®
Represent financial institutions, including senior secured creditors, in a broad range of bankruptcy matters
- Represented an agent bank for a 13-bank syndicate regarding Forcenergy’s Chapter 11 proceeding; the banks’ $330 million pre-petition claim resulted in full payment
- Represented the lender syndicate in the Placid Chapter 11 proceeding, an energy industry case
- Represented a major national bank in the American White Cross bankruptcy and succeeded in recovering all debt
- Represented a secured lender (over $130 million face amount) in an involuntary Chapter 11 proceeding in the U.S. Virgin Islands of a limited partnership that owned and operated a shopping center
- Represented Union Bank in the Christico energy case and obtained payment in full, filing a joint plan with the creditors’ committee
- Represented an 11-member bank owed $500 million in the Harbor Financial bankruptcy, ultimately obtaining a payment of over 95%
- Represented a bank group as defendant and counter-plaintiff in a complex litigation involving a $300 million portfolio of GNMA buy-out mortgage loans, obtaining a favorable settlement
- Represented ING (Netherlands Bank) in the WRT bankruptcy, an energy case, obtaining 100% recovery for our client