Thompson & Knight’s attorneys are industry leaders with a national reputation in condominium, mixed-use, and other structured use developments. We work collaboratively with developers, owners, investors, individuals, and organizations to structure, navigate, and manage risk.
Developers, Owners, and Investors
Our attorneys work with developers, both in Texas and nationwide, to structure and implement office, retail, residential, and mixed-use projects, as well as single-family planned development communities, using a myriad of legal structures. We have particular expertise with hotel and golf course resorts.
We handle all legal aspects of these developments, including:
- Legal structuring;
- Hand-crafted legal documentation, from simple (but tailored) to bespoke;
- Zoning and other land use considerations;
- Infrastructure development and project construction;
- Financing (mezzanine, permanent, CMBS, FHA, Fannie Mae, etc.);
- Regulatory and governance matters;
- Tax planning; and
- Risk management, including insurance considerations.
Once your project is up and running, we can help you navigate mixed-use project operations by assisting with:
- Interpretation and implementation of governance documents;
- Providing counsel to associations and their members regarding fiduciary and other matters;
- Enforcement of governing documents and restrictions;
- Overhaul of outdated and obsolete governing structures and documents; and
- Dispute resolution, whether friendly mediation or atrabilious litigation.
Individuals and Associations
For individuals who are purchasing or leasing a condominium unit or property in a mixed-use environment, whether commercial or residential, can assist with determining how governing documents will impact you financially and otherwise.
Our attorneys also provide advice to community and homeowners’ associations on a wide array of real estate matters, including dispute resolution.
Ranked among the top six firms in Texas for Real Estate in Chambers USA 2019 by Chambers and Partners
Ranked among the top firms in the nation in Real Estate in The Legal 500 US 2019 by Legalease
National first-tier ranking and regional rankings in both Dallas and Houston for Real Estate Law in “Best Law Firms” 2019 by U.S. News-Best Lawyers®