Thompson & Knight’s technology attorneys serve the complex legal needs of technology-based businesses and institutions. We have extensively counseled developing science- and technology-oriented clients, including emerging companies, Fortune 500 companies, multinationals, venture-capital funds, high-technology incubators, and academic and commercial research institutions. Our attorneys’ expertise in the semiconductor industry enables us to counsel semiconductor companies on all aspects of their operations, from formation and corporate management to litigation and dispute resolution in domestic and international forums.
Thompson & Knight’s technology attorneys serve the complex legal needs of technology-based businesses and institutions. We have extensively counseled developing science- and technology-oriented clients, including emerging companies, Fortune 500 companies, multinationals, venture-capital funds, high-technology incubators, and academic and commercial research institutions. Our clients’ technologies include aerospace, computer hardware and software, biogenetics, semiconductors, electronics, telecommunications, power generation, pollution control, pharmaceuticals, chemicals and petrochemicals, and waste treatment.
In marketing their innovative products and services around the world, technology companies encounter complicated and novel legal issues that transcend traditional areas of law. Our skill at counseling these companies reflects our attorneys’ industry knowledge and their scientific and technological training and backgrounds. Several of our attorneys have degrees in electrical and mechanical engineering, applied mathematics, physics, and aeronautics, and a number were employed as engineers and scientists before their legal careers. This interdisciplinary background in industry, technology, and law, combined with years of experience with emerging technology companies, enables us to shape comprehensive business solutions that encompass strategic planning, product development, marketing, manufacturing, employee relations, compensation strategies, and intellectual asset protection and management.
Thompson & Knight attorneys work in close partnership with technology clients, keeping current on the developments and innovations that affect their operations and markets. Whether the issue involves financing growth, developing new products, strengthening operations, or resolving disputes, our attorneys give technology clients answers that are on-point and on-time.
- Represented one of the world’s largest semiconductor manufacturers in contemporaneous litigation matters filed in separate forums involving 13 patents pertaining to microelectronics, video, and telecommunications technology
- Defended a major semiconductor manufacturer against multiple claims of patent infringement by the Lemelson Foundation on 20 patents pertaining to bar-code scanning, machine vision, auto-identification, and semiconductor manufacturing technologies
- Represented a multibillion-dollar semiconductor company, which was changing its corporate name and identity around the world, by conducting a global trademark and corporate name clearance search
- Represented a major semiconductor company in a case involving microprocessor patents and claims based on the manufacture of allegedly infringing devices under a have-made rights clause in a cross-license agreement
- Represented a client in a patent infringement case, which was settled after a Markman hearing, involving infringement claims for semiconductor circuit and process patents involving battery back-up technology, power savings, real-time clocks, and related microelectronics technologies